Wednesday 14 December 2016

Advent with ATDML - Day 14 - Surprise Exploding Box

Hello lovely friends, today I have a little surprise exploding box for you to make.



Not only does the box have this cute little house inside but inside the house is a battery tea light to illuminate the windows!

For this project you will need
1 piece of 12 x 12 cardstock
Cardstock weight double sided paper - I used Carta Bella Christmas Delivery
1 yard of ribbon
A piece of red card
and a battery tea light.


  • I started by drawing a cross shape on my black card with each square measuring 3 3/4. I then scored around the middle square so that the sides could be folded up. 

  • Next use the template (templates are in the files section of the ATDML#Create Facebook page) to cut out your lid.  I covered both sides of the box flaps and the top and sides of the box lid with paper.
  • Use the template to cut out your house shape and fold along the dotted lines and glue the tabs to the inside.
  • The long fringed strip is folded in half length ways and made into a square measuring 1 7/8 and the fringed side is glued to the bottom of your box with the fringes to the centre,  I cut a piece of paper from the piece I used for my house to fit in the bottom of the square to cover the fringed bits. This now forms the base of your house.
  • From red card cut your windows, doors and roof, add to your house.
  • You can now add a tea light to the base and carefully slide the house over the top.
  • If you don't want to make the box you can make the little houses, as Christmas Tree decorations.